Piclo seeks to advance the following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
We’re looking for a permanent QA Engineer to join our growing team as we scale and improve the Piclo Flex platform.
Job RoleQA Engineer
IndustryEnergy & Renewables
We’re looking for a permanent QA Engineer to join our growing team as we scale and improve the Piclo Flex platform. Our software stack comprises a single-page app and a backend running on a serverless infrastructure.
You’ll work on our core product – Piclo Flex marketplace – including identifying testing needs and strategy, guiding the team in implementing best quality practices and hands-on testing. In a typical week, you’ll be involved in testing new features, writing and reviewing automated tests, leading pre-emptive testing efforts as well as taking part in or influencing the discovery and scoping of new features. Working alongside a cross-functional team of developers, designers and product managers you will help to fight bugs by avoiding them being introduced in the first place.
Our ideal candidate meets many – but not necessarily all – of the below criteria:
- You are proficient in different aspects of testing (exploratory testing, acceptance testing, setting up test data and test environments, security testing, performance testing, etc.).
- You have experience in test automation (we currently use JS with TestCafe/Cypress) – deciding what to automate, setting up frameworks for automated tests, writing automated end-to-end tests.
- You are familiar with cloud-based platforms such as AWS, CI systems such as Github Actions, and Docker.
- You are an advocate for user needs and experience.
- You are comfortable being the only dedicated QA Engineer in the team, devising testing strategies and guiding others toward best quality practices.
- You are, or at least aspire to be, a confident communicator and are comfortable in expressing opinions and asking questions.
- You are fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language.
- You are motivated by Piclo’s mission to make our energy system smart, flexible and clean.
- Prior experience working within a cross-functional team solving complex business problems.
- You are naturally empathic, and are always mindful of the humans who use and benefit from your work.
What we can offer
- As you’d expect, a competitive salary, with share options comes as standard.
- Genuinely flexible working hours.
- The opportunity to help shape the role to find the best balance between what we need as a business and your career progression plans.
- Freedom to choose whether you want to be based remotely (with the ability to attend events or key meetings each sprint), or at our Central London office. More on this below.
- Whatever tools you need to get your job done to the best of your abilities.
- A modest annual allowance to spend on professional development, additional equipment, or your mental and physical wellbeing.
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘QA Engineer’ in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include a copy of your CV or the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role in particular.
All being well, we generally conduct interviews in three stages, lasting approximately 2-3 weeks depending on everyone’s calendars.
- We’ll invite you for a short video call with our CTO or another senior member of the team. We aim to respond to applicants within 2-3 working days at most.
- Next up, some applicants will be invited to complete a challenge, which the team will review.
- Successful applicants will then be invited to a more in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team, and to pair on a live testing exercise, as well as providing an opportunity for some Q&A about the role, about Piclo, and vice versa.
It goes without saying, but we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives but can only accept people who have the right to live and work in the UK. We are an equal opportunity employer as well as being a pleasant and supportive place to work.
A small note about COVID-19 and remote working
At Piclo, we decided to go fully remote during the recent lockdown, and have let go the lease on our cosy Shoreditch office. That means our team is currently working from home on an indefinite basis, however we plan to secure even better premises in the future, also in the Shoreditch area. We’re proud that we’ve not had to furlough any members of the team during the pandemic, and have worked hard to ensure every member of the team has the equipment they need to work comfortably and effectively in a remote setting.