ev.energy – Python Engineer
About the role
We’re looking for you to join our team as a Python Engineer working on the core platform we run all of our services from. This core platform provides all the data and functionality for our driver apps as well as the dashboards and admin panels we provide to energy companies, car companies and charge point manufacturers. You’ll be joining a group of 15 passionate engineers, designers and strategists based across the UK & Europe.
As a Python Engineer you’ll be expected to own technical delivery and architecture for development of the core platform. You will be responsible for taking new features and bug fixes from specification all the way through to deployment in AWS. As part of an agile product team, you’ll be mucking in to the ideation, specification and prioritisation of product development. You will also be working alongside more junior members of the team. We take personal development seriously at ev.energy, so you will be expected to help everyone develop their technical skill through mentorship and helpful feedback during design, implementation and review stages.
In the short term, you will be focussed on integrating with electric vehicles and chargers. Experience with IoT devices, distributed systems and hardware testing will be especially helpful here.
ev.energy helps consumers charge their EVs in the most cost effective and least carbon intense way possible, whilst saving them money! We partner with energy companies such as Igloo Energy, Rolec Services and ESB to deliver tariffs and products which integrate smartly with electric vehicle and their chargers.
We’re a small and nimble team but we already serve electricity companies and their customers across the world with pilots ongoing in Europe and North America.
Since we were incorporated 18 months ago, we’ve grown from 0 to 4000+ users, raised a funding round, collaborated with 15+ energy companies and saved over 5 tonnes of CO2. We were part of Microsoft’s first AI for Good cohort, won the EDF Pulse Innovation Challenge and were named “Best Energy Startup in the World” by Free Electrons 2019.
Tech at ev.energy
Our platform is mostly Django backed by a Postgres database. We use some common Python & Django libraries such as Numpy and (the awesome) Django Rest Framework which we also sponsor.
All our native apps are built using React Native using common React Native libraries such as Redux and Sagas for state management. All of our infrastructure is hosted in AWS and deployments are managed with Ansible and CloudFormation. Our CI / CD pipeline is built on Bitbucket Pipelines and we use Bitrise for app building and shipping.
Our goals for the next year are:
- Rolling out our app across the United States and the rest of Europe.
- Enabling support for mulitple EVs and EV chargers.
- Partnering with even more energy companies to reduce the cost of EV charging for our end customers.
- Growing our active users to over 50,000.
- Have at least 4 years experience building web apps and APIs (ideally Django, but Flask or other python frameworks are fine!).
- Be willing to make mistakes, break things, learn, and fix them.
- Have an interest in energy and decarbonisation of transport.
- Understand the impact of back-end services on user experience.
- Be able to work with Junior Developers and provide the constructive feedback to help them grow.
An awesome applicant will have…
- Lots of experience with Python writing well tested web services.
- A deep understanding of testing methodologies, the benefits and shortcomings of them.
- Experience crafting web APIs for both internal and external consumption.
- Experience with IoT devices and automated hardware testing.
We will support you with…
- Flexible working primarily remotely with budget for your home working setup or an office in a location convenient for you.
- Funded access to conferences, training and meetups (tech but also EV related).
- A shiny new MacBook Pro.
- Participation in various employee perks and benefits schemes like cycle to work and discounted cinema tickets.
- Team Week once a quarter where the whole team meets to collaborate, socialise and build connections in person.
- If you don’t have all of the job requirements, please apply anyway! We would love to hear from all kinds of people and may be able to tailor the role around your abilities and experience. We value applicants from non traditional backgrounds and a computer science degree is not a prerequisite.
Ts & Cs
Location: Remote, core hours 10am – 4pm London time
Term: Permanent role
Salary: £50k – £80k PA pro rated + equity
Annual Leave: 25 Days PA + Bank Holidays
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.